In a political world full of twists and turns, one thing remains constant: California voters trust their firefighters and will stand up for them on the issues that matter to their safety.
Candidates in both parties backed by California Professional Firefighters and its local affiliates were overwhelmingly victorious in state legislative contests, winning over 95% of contests including five out of six targeted races.
Voters also agreed with the pro-firefighter position won the day in all seven of the statewide initiatives that CPF weighed in on.
In the marquee statewide race, California voters sent a strong pro-firefighter voice to Washington with the election of Attorney General Kamala Harris to the U.S. Senate. Harris has been a steady and fierce voice for first responders, standing up against privatization of fire protection and standing up for firefighters’ retirement security and political rights..
Things were just as good for local firefighter unions, who once again fought hard for accountable local elected officials and local measures to secure critical funding for fire safety services.
Most impressive was a clean sweep of firefighters – active and retired – who ran for local offices this year.
The biggest wins may have been in Santa Cruz County. Retired BCs Owen Miller (Central FPD) and John Lucchesi (Santa Cruz City) win seats on the Central Fire Protection District Board. Earlier this year, the CFPD Board tried to impose retroactive pay cuts on firefighters. Citizens revolted then, and repudiated the entrenched and hostile board by electing Miller & Lucchesi.
Other firefighter winners include:
- Mike Diaz, retired Escondido Local 3842 wins seat on the Chula Vista City Council;
- Jeff Griffith, CAL FIRE Local 2881, wins election to Palomar Health Board of Directors (San Diego Co.)
- Jeremy Ray, Santa Clara City Local 1171, wins re-election to Live Oak School Board (Santa Cruz Co.)
- Shawn Stark, Oakland Firefighters Local 55, was elected earlier this year to the San Ramon Valley FPD Board of Directors.
- Jeff Donabedian, Oxnard Firefighters Local 1684, and Scott Dettorre, Ventura Co. Firefighters Local 1364, was elected to the Moorpark Unified School District.
Congrats to all CPF locals and their candidates. The solidarity and commitment to firefighter issues continues to demonstrate that The Union is All of Us.